News

France may ban beauty pageants

France may ban beauty pageants

This undated photo provided by the Mini Miss committee shows Oceane Scharre, 10, elected Mini Miss France 2011, left, and Miss France 2011 Mathilde Florin. France's Senate voted on Sept. 17, 2013, to ban beauty pageants for children under 16, in an effort to protect children — especially girls — from being sexualized too early. Anyone who enters a child into such a contest would face up to two years in prison and 30,000 euros in fines, according to the measure. Photo: Associated Press/AP Photo/Mini Miss Committee

PARIS (AP) — France’s Senate has voted to ban beauty pageants for children under 16, in an effort to defend children’s — especially girls’ — rights.

Anyone who enters a child into such a contest would face up to two years in prison and 30,000 euros in fines, according to the measure.

The legislation must go to the lower house of parliament for further debate and another vote.

The Senate approved the measure 197-146 overnight, as part of a law on women’s rights.

The amendment says it’s aimed at protecting children from danger and being prematurely forced into roles of seduction that harm their development.

Such beauty pageants, involving girls of all ages heavily made up and dressed up, regularly elicit public debate in France and elsewhere.

What's On 'KLH?

Make Your Bowl Game Picks!

CollegeBowlGame_Challenge2014_int_wp

Make your college bowl game picks for a chance to win a $250 Dickey’s gift card!

Hire Me MKE

HireMeMKE_620x400

Looking for a job around the Milwaukee area? Check out some openings>>

Wanna Play DJ?

HEYMOM

You can host your own show Sunday night at 6 on ‘KLH!

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."