News

NFL plans to avoid Super Bowl power problems of ’13

NFL plans to avoid Super Bowl power problems of ’13

POWER PLAY: The 2013 Super Bowl was delayed for more than a half-hour due to power problems that left much of the stadium in the dark. Photo: Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — With the memory of last February’s Super Bowl power outage front and center, officials have laid out plans for how they plan to avoid a similar problem at MetLife Stadium in February.

The head of Public Service Electric & Gas says the utility is running a third power line into the electrical substation at the Meadowlands sports complex.

PSE&G president Ralph LaRossa said Thursday that even if two of the power lines fail, the third would be enough to power the complex.

LaRossa said the Super Bowl site will require about 18 megawatts of electricity, or about what it takes to power 12,000 homes.

A partial power outage that caused a 34-minute delay at the Superdome was blamed on an electrical relay device installed specifically to prevent a power failure.

What's On 'KLH?

Make Your Bowl Game Picks!

CollegeBowlGame_Challenge2014_int_wp

Make your college bowl game picks for a chance to win a $250 Dickey’s gift card!

Hire Me MKE

HireMeMKE_620x400

Looking for a job around the Milwaukee area? Check out some openings>>

Wanna Play DJ?

HEYMOM

You can host your own show Sunday night at 6 on ‘KLH!

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."