News

Ohio man sentenced after video confession in fatal crash

Ohio man sentenced after video confession in fatal crash

CORDLE SENTENCED: Matthew Cordle is sentenced to more than six years in prison for a fatal crash. Photo: YouTube

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man whose online video confession went viral was sentenced on Wednesday to more than six years in prison.

Matthew Cordle was sentenced to 6 1/2 years for a June crash that killed 61-year-old Vincent Canzani.

Cordle had been drinking the night of the wreck and was more than two times the legal limit when he drove the wrong way on Interstate 670 in Columbus, striking Canzani’s car and killing him.

He recorded a confession video through the help of the Because I Said I Would website that has been viewed millions of times.

Canzani’s daughter, Angela Canzani, spoke during Cordle’s sentencing and said his online confession video shouldn’t allow him to receive a lighter sentence.

The Franklin County Prosecutor has asked Judge David Fais for the maximum eight years, saying Cordle drove despite a history of blackouts after heavy drinking.

Cordle’s attorneys asked for a sentence below the maximum to send a message about the value of taking responsibility for a tragedy.

Cordle pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide and driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. He publicly apologized to the Canzani family during a statement made in court on Wednesday.

What's On 'KLH?

Hire Me MKE

HireMeMKE_620x400

Looking for a job around the Milwaukee area? Check out some openings>>

Wanna Play DJ?

HEYMOM

You can host your own show Sunday night at 6 on ‘KLH!

Recent Headlines

in Music

Journey drummer Deen Castronovo denied bail

Fresh
deencastrono

The troubled drummer will remain in an Oregon jail.

in Sports

Ex-Cowboys player C.J. Spillman charged with sexual assault

Fresh
cjspillman

Spillman, who has played six seasons in the NFL, is suspected of sexual assaulting a woman at a Dallas hotel.

in National, World

U.S. runs hundreds of counter-terrorism investigations

Fresh
Police tape cordons off the site of a car bomb attack in Sanaa, Yemen, Tuesday, June 30, 2015. The explosion occurred near a military hospital in the Yemeni capital on Monday, causing dozens of casualties including civilians, security officials said. The Islamic State's Sanaa Division claimed responsibility on Twitter for detonating the parked car bomb, according to the SITE Intelligence Group monitoring service. (AP Photo/Hani Mohammed)

U.S. authorities are pursuing hundreds of active counter-terrorism investigations embracing all 50 American states.