News

Lakers’ Bryant out for rest of season

Lakers’ Bryant out for rest of season

OUT FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON: Bryant, 35, has not played since Dec. 17 when he fractured his knee during a game against Memphis after having missed the first 19 games of the 2013-14 NBA season recovering from a torn Achilles from last April. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Hobbled five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant is expected to miss the rest of the season, putting a crowning blow on an abysmal year for the Los Angeles Lakers, according to multiple reports on Wednesday.

Bryant, 35, has not played since Dec. 17 when he fractured his knee during a game against Memphis after having missed the first 19 games of the 2013-14 NBA season recovering from a torn Achilles from last April.

Should Bryant miss the rest of the season, as first reported by Bleacher Report, he would have played six games this season for the Lakers, who have sagged to a 22-42 mark after posting a 45-37 record last season.

The Lakers have 18 games left and stand 15.5 games out of the eighth and last playoff berth in the Western Conference.

Bryant is not accompanying the team on its current trip to Oklahoma City and San Antonio, staying back to be reevaluated by the team doctor, Bleacher Report said.

Sixteen-times NBA All-Star Bryant, so dominant a force on the NBA stage that he was still elected to a place on this season’s All-Star game, which he declined, has averaged 13.8 points and 6.3 assists in his abbreviated action.

Bryant is expected to return to the Lakers next season after having signed a two-year contract extension earlier this season.

(Reporting by Larry Fine in New York; Editing by Frank Pingue)

What's On 'KLH?

Hire Me MKE

HireMeMKE_620x400

Looking for a job around the Milwaukee area? Check out some openings>>

Wanna Play DJ?

HEYMOM

You can host your own show Sunday night at 6 on ‘KLH!

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

This weekend in entertainment history

michael-jackson

A look at some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in Music

Turn it down: Study says millions at risk for hearing loss

earphones

A new study shows almost half of all 12 to 35-year-olds listen to unsafe levels of music on their personal audio devices or cellphones.

in National

Making headlines this week

AP703639293459_11

A look back on this week's biggest stories and the headlines you may have missed.