News

Crash forces racer Dario Franchitti to retire

Crash forces racer Dario Franchitti to retire

INDYCAR CHAMP: Dario Franchitti, 40, suffered multiple injuries in an October crash. Photo: Associated Press

JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti says doctors have told him he can no longer race because of injuries sustained in an IndyCar crash last month.

Franchitti fractured his spine, broke his right ankle and suffered a concussion in the Oct. 6 crash in Houston.

The crash occurred on the last lap when his car made contact with another car and went sailing into a fence.

WATCH: Dario Franchitti’s crash

The 40-year-old underwent two surgeries on his ankle and recently returned home to Scotland to recover.

The four-time IndyCar champion has been the face of the series since he returned in 2009 following a brief stint in NASCAR.

He won three consecutive titles from 2009 to 2011. His 31 victories are tied for eighth on the all-time list.

Earlier this year Franchitti and his wife, actress Ashley Judd, announced their separation.

What's On 'KLH?

Make Your Bowl Game Picks!

CollegeBowlGame_Challenge2014_int_wp

Make your college bowl game picks for a chance to win a $250 Dickey’s gift card!

Hire Me MKE

HireMeMKE_620x400

Looking for a job around the Milwaukee area? Check out some openings>>

Wanna Play DJ?

HEYMOM

You can host your own show Sunday night at 6 on ‘KLH!

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Dec. 19

Fresh
dolly

A look back at some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.